Sermons & PodCasts

Check out the Sermon and PodCast archive!

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

Categories

Archives

Meta

« | Main | »

Thoughts for a New Convert

By Brian Tipton | December 16, 2007

We had two baptized this week. In Como, we always purchase a good, quality, NIV Study Bible to give as a gift to a new convert. We want to make sure they have a good copy of God’s word so that they can grow. I believe this is good. But what I do not want, is for anyone to think that the Bible is the end of it all. So this time, I included the something on top of the Bible. When they open their bible’s box, the first thing they will read is

Our Wish

Nothing is as precious as the relationship you will cultivate with your Creator. God has left his indelible marks on this world through His constant interaction with it. He formed it from nothing, cared for it when it broke, and became human so that He might save us. He came to restore a relationship with you. Even if you had been the only person on earth to ever believe that Jesus was the son of God, he still would have died for just you. God loves you.

This Bible is given to you as a guide. It is not given as the end, but the means to knowing God. Jesus said,

You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

John 5:39-40

Scriptures are a wonderful blessing. They are God’s revelation to us; God speaks to us on the pages of His word. But He speaks in order to bring us into a relationship with Him. Our prayer is that you take this guide and let it point the way to your Creator and His Son, Jesus Christ.

And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

John 17:3

Topics: Discipleship | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Thoughts for a New Convert”

1. brian Says:
    December 18th, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Awesome! also, glad to know you are alive and haven’t fallen off the face of the blogosphere.

you are probably already aware of this, but it rocks

2. Danny Says:
    December 29th, 2007 at 12:19 pm

So many people believe that the Bible is the be all and end all, but they are just words on a page. The power they have is when we allow the words to infuse our lives. Thank you for your thoughts on this. They inspire me to believe that some people in the church are attempting to do it right. It gives me hope for the future.

3. Brian Tipton Says:
    December 29th, 2007 at 10:42 pm

I appreciate your comment, Danny. I don’t know if I will ever get it all right, but I am certainly going to know who is right. Thanks for your encouragement.

4. Brad Palmore Says:
    January 5th, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Very nice touch. One of the phrases I throw around a lot is “Everything leads to something”. I mean to tell people to not consider the current step or goal as the end of the matter, but rather as something that needs to lead to something else (sort of like what we wished to accomplish in Nevada, MO). This is an excellent example of emphasizing the process over the step.

5. Chris Gallagher Says:
    January 8th, 2008 at 8:04 am

Excellent words! I hope each person appreciate the work involved with their study and the prayer going into each convert. Great work!

6. Rex Says:
    January 10th, 2008 at 7:02 am

Very thoughtful.

Rex
    Ithaca Church of Christ
    Ithaca, NY

7. Jimmy Says:
    January 11th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Hope that you will blog more often in the future!!! I had lunch with Micah today and we talked about Tippy Canoe!!

8. Matthew Says:
    March 11th, 2008 at 10:33 am

Very nice thoughts for this important time in these people’s lives.

9. clyde s. Says:
    April 28th, 2008 at 10:35 pm

It’s good to have you blogging again, bro. Good post!

I complained to God one time and just really let him know how I felt about some things I was experiencing in ministry. He told me He’d heard worse. :-)

Thanks for the thoughts on prayer. I think you’re on target.

10. Brian Tipton Says:
    April 30th, 2008 at 11:57 am

Thanks, Clyde. Good to hear from you. I will be in your neck of the woods before long on a semi-permanent type basis.

Comments